Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Tofino - Vancouver Island

my last day in Vancouver was really good. Did a massive walk around the seawall at Stanley Park, the headland of Vancouver downtown. In the afternoon caught the ferry to north vancouver then found my way by bus to Lynn Canyon. There was a big canyon and a suspension bridge. I did a walk through the trails there and at the beginning there was a sign saying Beware of Black Bears. That got me all nervous and i couldn't concentrate on anything but looking for bears. Ever since the bull-charging I realise how irrational animals can be and you can't just say 'hey, stop that, i didn't do anything to you.' Or maybe, it is actually complete rationality - and that you can't argue your way out of either. Bull gets angry, bull charges. Bear gets hungry, bear eats. hmmm

So, on saturday, or whatever day it was, i got the ferry over to Vancouver Island. I almost missed the only bus to Tofino because i came out the wrong exit at the ferry, and then i had to run alongside the bus with my backpack on and knock on the door till the driver stopped. He was going to leave without me! He crossed my name off and everything, and i wasm't even late!

The drive across to the west was cool with lots of golden wattle everywhere, and the usual snow-capped mountains and those pine-looking tress which i think are actually called hemlock trees, as well as western red cedar trees. I couldn't believe it on my first night in Tofino the sun didn't set until 9.30, and then it didn't really get dark till 11.30. I wasn't sure what to do. You can't exactly go to bed when the sun is still high and bright, but i was pretty tired. So i put my clothes over my pajamas and walked out to the headland and watched the sun go down. The area around Tofion is beautiful and part of Pacific Rim Reserve, which is a UNESCO biosphere reserve world heritage site. So, obviously a place worth preserving. I did sea-kayaking out to nearby Meares Island where we did a hike through an old-growth forest and got swooped by a large bald-headed eagle, and saw lots of starfish along the way. I also rented a mountain bike and tried to see a bit more that way. It's probably the kind of place you want to be with people/person. Still trying to adjust to not being with a group. Makes it hard to go for a hike alone because apart from the warning signs for bears, there are also signs saying to be careful because there are wolves in the parks. Overall though, it was a beautiful place. Would like to come back some day and try the West Coast Trail.

Today i spent the day in a bus getting to Victoria, the capital of Vancouver Island down at the bottom. So far, the city seems really interesting, with old english type things and buildings and shops. Seems a shame to only have a night here. Tomorrow morning getting the ferry through Puget Sound to Seattle.

Two Canadian phrases used ALL the time:

1. Right on

eg. Where are you travelin' from? Australia. Oh, right on. How long for? One week. Right on.

2. Totally

eg. Can you please tell me where the laundry is? I can totally tell you where the laundry is.

No comments: